Old July 31st 03, 09:51 PM
Eastward Bound

"James M. Knox" wrote in message ...
(Eastward Bound) wrote in
om:

Everytime I'm near a BIG and busy airport I start to feel a little
weak and lightheaded. Almost as if I'm going to faint but I don't.
I never had a problem with emises or nausea and haven't yet vomited
when I thought of sick thoughts and I never get motion/ sea sickness.
I think to myself that this only happens in cities up against a major
airport like LAX and O'Hare. Could it be the Carbon Monoxide?

First, I am tempted to say that most of us ont his list get weak and
lightheaded when near aircraft that we will never be able to afford. G

I think you can fully rule out CO -- just doesn't work that way.
Everyone would be suffering. Further, CO levels aren't particularly
high near even the biggest airports - they are **MUCH** worse at a
congested intersection in a big city on a calm (non-windy) day.
Unfortunately, so are most other petro-related combustion byproducts.
That rules out most things.

What, if anything, does that leave? Not much that I can think of.
Fueling of the big aircraft is done through sealed hoses - releasing a
lot less fumes than you get when filling up your family car. Further,
Jet-A doesn't evaporate anywhere near as quickly as auto gasoline.

Perhaps you are having a reaction to the fertilizers that some of them
may use on the grass? Or to the grass itself.

If you are REAL close you CAN sometimes get a whiff of kerosene as one
takes off. This is very brief, but you could be hyper-sensitive. Easy
enough to test - go to a service station and get a couple of cents worth
of diesel. Whiff it (in very light amounts - we KNOW you can get sick
if you sniff enough of it). [This is NOT a recommended practice.] If
you do react to it, then stay away from more and more of the newer
automobiles, and never ever move to Europe.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

Wow; thanks for being so informative...

It's got to be something in the air. As soon as I open the window of
my car and take in the first breath I get the above mentioned
symptoms.

This doesn't happen when I'm on the Freeway for whatever reason, only
when I'm in or around the surrounding areas near the airport.

I don't get the symptoms when I'm inside the airport terminal or
onboard an airplane.

My Aunt who lives close by to LAX said that the tile roof used to be
red or bright orange when it was new. Because of the bad air from all
the high traffic or aircraft the roof is now green. It must have been
some kind of chemical reaction.

Once I had to spend two nights nearby LAX at a Hotel. I felt the
symptoms the whole time I was there and every time I went outside it
got worse. I would think that I got used to the lightheadedness but
then it would come back all over again as soon as I stepped outside
onto the balcony and I would watch all of those Jumbo Jets fly over my
head and over the Hotel. We were situated near a flight path.

Aviation fuel isn't the same kind of fuel as gasoline. There must be
some kind of chemical in the air that is released when aviation fuel
is burned by the jet engines.

The family used to own a VW Rabbit Diesel pick up truck. I remember
refueling that truck and getting the diesel on my hands from the pump
and I know the distinct smell of it. I know that I'm not allergic to
it. So that rules out Diesel.

Don't parks and stadiums use the aforementioned chemicals you stated
was used in Airports? If it's the same then you can rule that out
since I highly doubt it having gone to many parks before along with
places with treated lawns. Washington DC has a lot of that and I
never got the symptoms.

Whatever it is I should find out what is causing this. Who knows,
maybe I might need to be rushed to the Emergency Room once I get to
witness a space shuttle taking off up close and personal for the first
time. Maybe whatever is in that Aviation fuel is in Jet fuel used for
the space shuttle.

Hemoglobin: The iron-containing respiratory pigment in red blood
cells of vertebrates, consisting of about 6 percent heme and 94
percent globin.

short for hematinoglobulin