Old February 1st 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default Cold Weather PreHeating

If you are in even an unheated hangar, the OAT and the engine temperature
can be significantly different. On one of our colder days in Tucson when
the air outside the hangar was 30, a thermometer showed the head fin
temperature to be 45. Of course an aircraft parked outside would have been
a different story.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

I'm a uniter, not a divider. - GWB, 1999.

"pgbnh" wrote in message
Now that winter has finally arrived in the Northeast, it is time to enjoy
the benefits of cold, dense air. wow - I wish I could see those climb
rates in August.

But anyway, what's the common wisdom on preheating. Granted, in an ideal
world, preheating is probably a good idea anytime it's below 40, but it IS
a pain for those of us who are forced to tie down outside and have no
access to electricity. At what temperature point are you comfortable
starting WITHOUT a preheat? (If it matters, this is for a Lyc IO360 that
will start easily down to about 10 deg).

Any mechanics care to comment on what they have seen happen to engines
which have routinely been started cold?