Old April 18th 04, 11:55 PM
BUFDRVR

I think
you must be referring to the Prologue rather than the first chapter.

I'm sorry, I lent my book to someone, but yes the prologue is what I'm
referring to.

it seems to be a fairly accurate
brief history of the period of the '50s.

Not where it claims LeMay sent 7th AF its "least combat capable B-29 units"
(paraphrased). SAC sent 2 *radar* equipped B-29 units to Japan. These B-29
units were hardly the least capable in SACs inventory, in fact quite the
opposite.

Well, duh! I don't want to be a shatterer of your illusions, but that
is a fact.

Which is fine, but don't expect readers not to question your main premis when
its reflected in the light of; "I always hated SAC anyway..."

So, you're telling me that the prep order that specified three-day max
effort that I read in the Korat Command Post on the morning of
December 18, 1972 was a fake?

No, the three day maximum effort was also followed in the JCS order with the
caveat that operations could be extended. Nixon's memoirs shed even further
light, indicating he was going to bomb them until they returned to Paris....or
congress removed funding. Are you trying to say Nixon wouldn't have been the
ultimate authority on the legth of LB II?

If damage inflicted was a secondary concern, then why didn't we just
resume tactical operations and pick up where Linebacker had ended.
Inflicting maximum damage was the whole raison d'etre for scheduling
150 BUFF sorties on night one.

Because Nixon himself ordered the use of BUFFs over Hanoi! He was making a
statement!

Have you ever seen 150 BUFFs airborne
in the same month let alone one night?

No, but that would be awsome!