Old February 19th 04, 09:15 PM
Michael 182

Good answer - thanks.

Michael

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"Michael 182" wrote
What is the reasoning behind the required course reversal in many
approaches? It's hard to believe that I will be safer flying the

racetrack
and then the approach to the runway than simply flying to the IAF and
proceeding inbound - especially with GPS guidance. I have no problem

flying
the full published course, done it many times, I'm just curious why they

are
designed that way.

They are designed that way for the least proficient pilot (the one who
just squeaked through his instrument rating ride) with the minimum
equipment (no GPS, certainly).

In most (maybe all) cases, a proficient pilot with GPS guidance can
safely proceed to the FAF, lead his turn onto the FAC using the GPS,
and sort out the exact course alignment while descending on the GS or
to MDA. In fact, many freight dogs do it all the time when not in
RADAR contact, to save time. The only time a course reversal is ever
really necessary is when the transition segment has a very high
minimum altitude (due to terrain) and you just can't get down in time
without shock cooling your engine(s).

On the other hand, if you must fly a crappy non-precision approach to
mins when you haven't flown IFR in weeks, especially partial panel and
without GPS guidance, you will want to be solidly established on the
FAC, with crosswind correction in place, because otherwise the
approach will eat your lunch as you attempt to turn onto final, get
the descent going, blow through the final, correct the other way...
well, just try it sometime and you will see what I mean.

Of course the course reversal ought to be optional - a pilot ought to
know what his limitations are and if he feels that he doesn't need the
procedure turn, then he shouldn't have to make one. However, in
practice it's already that way. If you are in RADAR contact, you will
generally get vectors to final anyway. If you don't, controllers are
generally all too happy to clear you for the approach without course
reversal. Requested it a couple of times myself, always got it. Is
it legal? Who knows. One thing is for sure, nobody is going to
report it so nobody is getting busted. And of course if you're not in
RADAR contact, you can do whatever you want, nobody is watching.

Michael