Old April 5th 04, 06:45 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Until the autopilot goes TU on you... If it is a conventional A/P, it may

not
work if you lose instrument vacuum or your AI, for example. Real bad time

to be
out of practice hand-flying without and autopilot to back you up.

And hand flying doesn;t help if a the wing falls off. I didn't see that
anyone was putting "100% of the time" reliaance on an AP.

IMHO, it is very very easy to become complacent with George to do your

flying
when the chips are down. I think your chances of getting into an unusual
attitude are much higher with a system failure if you habitually use your
autopilot.

And how about those who hand fly ALL THE TIME and still lose it in IMC?

I'd like to see a historical analysis. Even the Operating Handbooks from the
AP manufacturers recommed against using the AP as a crutch.