Old March 20th 19, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon[_2_]

Default TOW PLANE Accident

On 3/19/2019 9:31 PM, wrote:

It may be different for heavier pilots than me, but with me solo in the 2-33, even with the ballast brick (can't fly without it), and of course with the trim full forward, I still need to push the stick forward on tow so hard that I use both hands. That is a situation that can turn tragic in a moment of distraction. Even with another person of my weight in the other seat it still requires a major stick-forward force.

Yes, I've noticed the same in 2-33's when flying dual with light
passengers (using ballast as necessary and within CG limits). The tow
hook is low on the fuselage nose, so tow rope tension imparts an upward
force on the glider that must be countered with down elevator. It's
just the nature of the beast, and something that should be well within
the capability of any qualified pilot to handle. If there were anything
unusually dangerous about 2-33's tow characteristics, statistics would
have told us many decades ago, because your average trainer 2-33 does a
LOT of tows compared to other gliders.

Vaughn

---
https://www.avg.com