Old August 26th 03, 03:38 AM
Steve Coleman

Default Garmin 430/530 Questions

Can you program in a radial off of a VOR to use as a GPS course?

For example, say your cleared from your present position to intercept a
given radial inbound. Up to this point you've been flying direct, or flying
a set of GPS waypoints. You're navigating off of GPS, not VOR. When this
happens to me, I always have to dial in the VOR freq. on the Garmin, set the
OBS to the proper radial and then switch the GPS from GPS navigation to VOR
navigation. In this situation, it's not too much of a problem and doesn't
really bother me. However, when I'm issued an IFR clearance that includes
an outbound radial on one VOR to an inbound radial on the next VOR it would
be nice to be able to program those into the flight plan. I haven't read
anything about it the manual and didn't think it was even possible until I
read an earlier post about a guy programming his flight plan into his Garmin
after an unusual IFR clearance (using radials).

Another similar question. Lets assume your being radar vectored on
departure, departure instructs you to intercept an airway to resume your own
navigation. What's the best way to intercept an airway with a 430? I've
been having to lookup the radial for the airway on the nearby VOR and then
enter into the Garmin to track inbound using VOR mode. It seems to me you
could easily enter the two VOR's or nav points that define the airway and
have the Garmin create a route overlying the airway. If you try this, you
end up with a route from your present position to the first VOR and then to
the second VOR. You don't end up with a route to intercept the airway
between the two VOR's. You could fly a manual course using GPS mode and
when you think your on the airway (by looking at the display on the Garmin)
you could hit direct to the second VOR. Doesn't seem ideal. There's got to
be a better way to do it?