Old July 15th 03, 08:38 AM
Guy Alcala

Peter Stickney wrote:

snip

I just double checked, he numbers I gave are a bit muddied-up, too.
I've two Pilot's Handbooks for the Mosquito, one for the FB.6
(Fighter-Bomber) from 1950, and one for the various single-stage
Merlin Night Fighters, published in 1945. The numbers I quoted were
from the FB.6 handbook, and the NF.12 handbook is different. The NF.12
book lists best cruise as 220 mph IAS, which is nudging 330 TAS at
25,000'. and 360 TAS at 30,000'. It's possible that the FB.6 numbers
are for an airplane carrying external bombs and rockets, but it
doesn't say.

This site should clear up some of the confusion (you need to scroll down quite a
ways):

http://www.home.gil.com.au/~bfillery/mossie02.htm

"Recommended" cruise is 220 IAS outbound, 210 IAS return, for both single and
two-stage a/c. The post-war limits (weight etc.) seem to have been dialed back
considerably from wartime.

Guy