Old September 15th 04, 05:50 AM
G. Burkhart

"B25flyer" wrote in message
Got me to thinking. So question is, what is the opinion of the troops as
when the system will change and as part of the written/PTS for any rating
there
will no longer be the requirment to draw the line and figure out all the
other
stuff for the X-C portion of the test. Just put in airports/waypoints and
go
for it.

Five years? Ten years? Or will it stick around forever?

Good question. Personally, I don't think that all planes will ever be GPS
equipped just as all the current flying planes don't have nav radios,
transponders or even electrical systems.

My aircraft doesn't have a transponder or a nav radio, haven't needed them,
yet. I do use a GPS for some of the navigation but mostly rely on dead
reckoning.

Keep drawing those lines on the sectionals and teaching it that way. GPS's
can go Tango Uniform and then where are you...