Old January 6th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default ANNUAL, 2005 Redux...

Yeah, the thought of brand new Slicks was enticing but the numbers
didn't work out... Besides, these rebuilt Bendix mags will out live the
engines and the airplane by the time they are overhauled a few more
times...
There is no way of determining how many tens of thousands of hours are
on the carcasses we pulled out... The mechanic that owned the plane
for 43 years must have had fifty gallon drums of old magnetos that he
sifted through whenever he worked on them...
But, it was clear to me that without re-machining the bores and the
rotors, and completely replacing the internal parts ( though 3 of the
coils look good) that they could not be brought up to my standards with
a field IRAN... We also need to remember that Bendix parts and pieces
are on the shelf at almost every podunk airport if you have a
problem... That's a big plus...

denny