Old June 19th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Immediate Action Items Checklist

On Jun 19, 1:09*am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:08:09 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote in
:

Funny, back in the '60s I'd send students on cross-countries to SNA (now
John Wayne) without a thought of it. *Nowadays I'd be nuts to do that.

Right. *Today, the wake turbulence from the B-757s landing on 19R and
jet blast from airliners holding between the runways on taxiway Lima,
not to mention the windshere and birds, can be lethal for a solo
student landing on 19L. *But I've got a signature in my logbook from
someone at Martin Aviation in 1970 to verify my solo xcountry. *

You'd be hard pressed to even find where Martin was back then! I think
in the 70's it was still just south of the ramp area where air
carriers were parking. Mission Beech was on the north end and so was
transient parking. Long gone ...........Back when I first flew out of
SNA, there were parallel strips and one of them was used for drag
races on weekends! Torbet, Martin and Tallman aviation were all
operating. Mile Square was still popular for touch and goes and not
uncommon to see a mix of military and civilian aircraft in the
pattern ... also long gone for flying. Many of the old strips are
ancient history all across the country..