Old April 13th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

Default Mid Life Crisis gift to myself, Pilot Training

I want to do it because it's something that I can be proud of, something I
accomplished.
And all for the price of a new SUV....which will turn to rust in 10 years...

"RandyL" wrote in message
Har,
I certainly don't want to tell you what to do, but here is an
observation. $8500 is a LOT of money. You could certainly use it to get
your commercial license, but I am wondering how useful a commercial
license will be to you. The whole purpose of getting a commercial license
is to get a job with a commercial carrier. Even though you may have a
commercial license, most carriers will not hire anyone who does not have a
minimum number of hours logged IN ADDITION to the minimum numer of hours
logged for your commercial license. This is because of insurance
liability. Most commerial carrier require at least 300 hours or more above
the minimum that it takes for your commercial ticket. By the time that you
get your commericial license, AND the minimum hours logged for insurance
coverage, you may well be in your mid to late 50's. Unfortunately there
are not very many carriers that will hire someone in this age range. I'm
not saying you shouldn't do it, but I'm just wondering if that $8500 could
be better used to perhaps purchase an airplane of your own. You might do a
little investigating before you plunk down a lot of money on a commercial
rating, and see just what the minimum requirements are for employment with
a commercial carrier. It's just something to think about.

Randy L.
--
"When making an emergency off-field landing at night, turn
on the landing lights just prior to touchdown. If you don't

"HarDeeHarHar" wrote in message
.. .
I'm 48, and time to have me som fun...
Been flying as a passenger since I was 8 months, have had 102 flights on
commercial flights that I can recall ...
Have flown Schweizer 232 sailplanes, and Cessna 172's (not take off or
landings.)
Have played with MS Flight Sim since 1995, and probably have logged over
400 hours of flight on that game....the new ATC versions make it more
fun.

I understand flight theory and dynamics, and have felt at home and at
ease while behind the yoke or stick while in the 172 and 232's.

So I looked at flight training, and here west of Toronto at the Guelph
airport, it's about $4500 allowing me to carry one passenger, $7500 to
carry multiple passengers, or $8500 (plus 200 hrs @ $125/hr) for
commercial pilot...(all in Canadian $$$)

So I have time, might as well go for the commercial licence, and have me
some fun...not that it will get me a job by the time I'm done (I'll be
51 - 52 by my training timeline).

Never too late, and since having sex with Jeannie (Barbara Eden) is out
of the question (Hey, she's still hot for 72), I might as well fulfill
anpother dream, eh?