Old June 1st 13, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Question about PowerFlarm IGC recording rate

On May 31, 11:56*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

Yes. *Use the PowerFLARM Portable Configuration File creating tool hehttp://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in.../powerflarm-en...

It has a parameter for the logging interval.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"SoaringXCellence" *wrote in message

I just had my first flight with my newly updated PowerFlarm. *I was able to
download the ICG file to the microSD card and it all worked great.

BUT, (there's always a but), I also had another recorder (XCSoar, thank you
VERY much) and compared the files with SeeYou. *It appears the PF is
recording at a rate of about a point about every 10-12 seconds. *I'd like to
have files with a little more detail.

Does anyone know if/how the rate can be changed?

Mike

From the FLARM dataport specification March 2012, version 6.00E,
preliminary:
quote:
Sub-Sentence PFLAC,,LOGINT
Syntax: PFLAC,QueryType,LOGINT,Value
Meaning: The value indicates the time interval in seconds between two
data points of the flight recording. Consider that FLARM writes flight
data to the memory about every 30 data points. When FLARM is switched
off this period of the flight might not be stored. The higher the time
interval between two data points, the longer is the period of the
flight that is lost. Therefore do not use settings higher than 4s.
FLARM should not be switched off immediately after an aircraft has
landed. On the other hand the interval between two points also affects
the overall recording capacity in terms of flight duration. The memory
in FLARM is shared between the obstacle database and the flight
recorder. The obstacle database defines the amount of memory available
for flight recording. If the obstacle database is empty, FLARM can
store approximately 96’000 data points of the flight. With the default
2s interval this is an equivalent of more than 50 hours. Typically,
about one third of the memory is available for flight recording,
resulting in more than 50 hours at 2s interval. If the flight
recording memory is full, old flight data is overwritten.
Values: integer values from 1 to 8 are possible, default is 2.
unquote

so logging interval can be no higher than 8 seconds.

Your flarmconfig.txt file probably has something like this (if not,
you can cut-and-paste it in):

# igc recording configuration

# recording interval
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,2

Change the integer from 2 if you want to change your interval. With
this sentence, my igc file B records show an interval of 2 seconds. S
is "set".

Dan
2D