Old October 13th 05, 04:40 PM

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
news:j5t3f.73269$lq6.67752@fed1read01...
"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...

We were talking about this ambitious joyride at work, and I remembered
a case in the eighties where a military technician, who I believe was
an accomplished glider pilot with a world altitude record, took an A-4
for a spin in the middle of the night -- perhaps over the holidays
while the field was closed. It might have been at El Toro.

Does anyone remember this? I promised a friend a link to this story if
I can find it.

I remember this, it was indeed at MCAS El Toro and at night too. I belive
it was an enlisted man, aircraft maintenance type, who had access to a
simulator and knew that he would probably get in trouble, but REALLY,
REALLY, wanted to try his hand at flying an A-4. He landed safely and was
immediately arrested as the Marines don't take kindly to having their
aircraft stolen. I think they threw the UCMJ book at him.

So does he still 'live' in Leavonworth?