Old October 13th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:06:57 -0400, Gary Drescher wrote:

I've long wondered about whether "congested area" applies when one is
over a river. That's not congested. It is next to a congested area,
but it itself is rather sparsely populated.

I've wondered about that too. But If it were construed to apply when
you're over a river, then flight up the Hudson VFR corridor would be
illegal--you can't get over the Verrazano or George Washington bridge
under the Class E ceiling without coming within 2000' horizontally of the
bridge towers, flying less than 1000' above the tower tops.

So you're suggesting that, even if the river weren't congested, the
bridges are? That's not a point I'd considered.

What an overused term to not have a strict definition.

- Andrew