View Single Post
Old July 27th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Saving tasks (routes) in iglide

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:33:00 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
Interesting. Do you auto-update your iOS firmware and iGlide app via your iOS settings? Was iGlide possibly due for an update and/or on an older version and not updated to the latest version? I assume yes but felt it was worth asking. Some I know in rh Gliding world, for example, never updates their iOS. Many likely ignore the updates as well this can be a problem.

My iGlide has actually been experiencing a slight pause in response. Meaning it took a second for the app to respond to an input, in particular the addition of a TP or a change to a parameter such as radius. This was annoying me and I also did the uninstall reinstall with no improvement (it is rare that uninstall/reinstalls are the solution).

The reason I ask is that I just updated my iOS firmware this morning to the latest version, 10.3.3. This immediately solved the hesitation and the iGlide app is responding perfectly.

What model iPhone and what version of your iOS firmware are you running? Did you recently update? With complex apps such as iGlide or ForeFlight it is fairly import to keep them up to date.

This kind of "bug tolerance" is part of life and happens with most complex apps. Even my Forefligt app (huge development team with huge customer sat focus) has been buggy at times.

Keep in mind that the iGlide team is very responsive to these issues as well and an email to them is usually responded to in hours.

I'm posting this more for those who follow us into the "iGlide experience.." I still believe iGlide is the best mobile soaring navigation app. I use it all the time as a backup in contests and as primary in all other glider flying and absolutely love it.

I'm glad to hear your issue is solved. It is still unclear what the problem was as the recent iOS 10.3.3 update might have been the issue. It might be worth an email to the iGlide developers (via App Store) so they can do some testing and have the issue on record.

Best,

Sean

Sean,

I'm starting to learn cross country and was hoping that iGlide paired with a Nano would be an alternative to the Oudie IGC. It would be cheaper and nice to run off my phone. Do you see this as a good setup for a student XC pilot? Which version of iGlide would you recommend?