Old April 8th 04, 11:22 PM
G.R. Patterson III

RD wrote:

True. If your engine fell off the plane you have serious problems. I don't
think you can fly after that - period.

I read of one case in which they made it down alive. In that case, it was either a
150 or a 172 with a student and CFI on board. They were practicing MCA, so they had
the flaps all the way down. Mid-air collison removed the entire firewall-forward. In
Texas, IIRC.

So keeping the engine on board is
crucial for W&B. At what point does the vibration necessitate a shutdown?

In my case, one cylinder out of four quit. I have to admit, the vibration was scary,
but she hung together until I got it down, and the engine mounts checked out ok
later.

S'funny. After I shut down, I walked into the FBO. Asked if anyone had a cigarette.
My then-fiance looked at me. "What's this 'cigarette' garbage? You don't smoke."

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".