Old April 8th 04, 11:39 PM
Peter Duniho

"RD" wrote in message
How many of you have memorized all the emergency procedures.

I have memorized all the emergency procedures at least once. I admit,
without very frequent recurrent training, it's hard to keep them memorized.
For my insurance, I get recurrent training annually, during which the
emergency procedures are reviewed, but I've always forgotten something
between each annual review.

IMHO, emergency procedures should be a part of any BFR, even when you are
focusing mostly on other things (like mountaing flying, instrument work,
that sort of thing). It's probably a good idea to fly with an instructor at
least annually to refresh your memory, even if your insurance company
doesn't require it. Airline pilots go over this sort of stuff even more
frequently (every six months at least, if I recall), which should tell you
something.

On a side note, I'm a bit confused about a partial engine failure. Say the
engine loses a valve and runs VERY rough. Should I continue flying with

that
engine in hopes of making a runway, or shut the engine down to prevent it
from ripping itself off the airplane and turning me into a large paper
weight.

It depends. But generally speaking, an internal failure is probably not
going to break the motor mounts. A broken prop will, and you should get the
engine shut down as fast as is humanly possible in that case (I'd cut the
ignition AND the mixture AND the fuel shutoff, in that order). In the case
of an internal failure where the engine is still making power, I'd keep the
engine going as long as it seemed to be helping more than hurting.

If you are thirty miles from the nearest airport, you may feel the engine
won't make it that far, and landing with power off-airport may be desirable
to losing the engine on the way to the airport. Of course, even if you
decide to try to make it to an airport, you should be even more vigilant
than usual about knowing where your emergency landing site will be, should
the engine give up before you get to the airport.

Pete