Old April 9th 04, 01:55 AM
John Galban

"RD" wrote in message ...

On a side note, I'm a bit confused about a partial engine failure. Say the
engine loses a valve and runs VERY rough. Should I continue flying with that
engine in hopes of making a runway, or shut the engine down to prevent it
from ripping itself off the airplane and turning me into a large paper
weight.

Something like this is a judgement call. If you think the engine is
shaking so violently that it will rip off the mounts, then by all
means shut it down. If you can get it to run smoother at a different
power setting, then do it. This isn't something you're going to be
able to put into a checklist.

Generally speaking, making it to a runway is going to provide the
best chance for you and your passengers to avoid injury. It will be
up to you to judge if the plane will hold together long enough for
that to happen, or if an off airport landing would be safer. Keep in
mind that a lot dead folks have "almost made it to the runway".

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)