Old September 17th 12, 09:38 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
peter skelton

Default HMS Revenge -into Dreadnought

"Keith W" wrote in message

a425couple wrote:
"Moramarth" wrote in
message...
"a425couple" wrote:
#3B, if that is not an optical rangefinder, where
is the rangefinder?
#3C, where does the primary gunfire director
crew sit/work?

Just aft of "B" turret is a small turret-like structure
with two
ports on the front - that's the Director Control Tower.
The Range
Finder is the rectangular structure across the back of
this. There
is a similar but smaller backup installation just forward
of "X"
turret, a conning tower with a smaller rangefinder on the
roof.

I thank you, and everyone else that responded, very much.

Would you care to look at this one & offer info.?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HM...le_drawing.png
Probably one generation earlier
(or, the first modern battleship).

I would believe I see the primary gunfire control director
station
just forward of the rear stack. (with rangefinder).
If that is correct, how many men do you figure
sat inside that station?

As built Dreadnought had two control positions, one on top
of

the foremast and another on the roof of the signal tower.
Each
had a 9ft Barr and Stroud rangefinder and fed them to a
mechanical
computer and range clock in the control position below them.

Later extra rangefinders were fitted to the compass
platform and to

A turret and fire control refitted with a Dreyer Table

The foretop crew would be relatively small.

I had thought they came later, but, on looking it up I find
that 'range clock' first referred to what later became 'fire
control clock', the name 'range clock' having apparently
been taken over by the big dials mounted on capital ships
post-Jutland to show gun elevation to ships ahead and
astern. (If anyone has the details I'd be interested.)

Peter