Old September 7th 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default another crash

On Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 10:44:56 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 9/7/2019 7:06 AM:
As soon as I noticed the requirement, I installed a canopy breaker in the
cockpit.Â* Perhaps you'll find similar wording about the headrest or lack of same.
With no stated requirement, I'd argue with the authorities.Â* Probably a losing
battle, but one worth fighting.

What does a canopy breaker look like? I've never heard of one.

This video has been around for a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvQxGl4kt4

Lots of options available if you search online but I suspect those cheap plastic handle breakers seem pretty good (I have several of them, got them for cars first). Secure them well so they don't come and get you during a crash. .. some of the heavier knife blade style breakers would worry me more about that. The dinky little sharp impact breakers ah not so useful as the video shows... heck you can shatter car glass with a tiny piece of ceramic..

Being trapped inverted in a crashed motorglider with potentially fuel leaking everywhere is not a pretty thought. Not really sure likely a breaker is is to be actually used/able to help (e.g. canopy is still intact, and breaking it will let you get out), but its cheap insurance.