Old September 6th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Default Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

Tman wrote:

Flying a lot of 152s and 172s with carb heat lately. When inbound, I've
been taught to pull the carb heat "on" downwind, hey actually use it as
a power control to slow the plane just a bit mid-field, and then more
importantly, just leave the thing on till clear of the runway and
cleaning up.

Never heard of this before.

I think I'm going to follow a new SOP. Turn the carb heat off on
mid-final.

Tha't what I've always been taught. Actually, I do it on short final.
There will come the day when you need full power for the go-around. Too
silly if you then have the carb heat on.