Old September 7th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

On Sep 7, 5:53*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

I'm with you Bob.
I once thought I'd throttle back and poke under some mist and pop out
the other side and resume. when the power came off the revs started
dropping and dropping and dropping. I bunged on full carb heat and
then full throttle and still the revs kept dropping. out the corner of
the eye I noticed a shaft of sunlight and turned toward the hole in
the mist. about 2 seconds into the sunlight and I had full power back
again. *when it happens it happens quickly.

I lost the engine in the J-3 once during climb out. I had done a stop-
n-go and even though I was under full power I had picked up some carb
ice after turning off the carb heat in order to go. I got down to
about 200 feet before the power came back. Since then I've always done
stop-n-gos will carb heat on until I get a positive climb. I've not
had that problem since using that procedure. That procedure is in
conflict with the OPs. Now, it is true that a J-3 is going to freeze
up much faster than a Cherokee and somewhat faster than C-172 but it
just shows that it can happen very, very fast.

-Robert