Old September 8th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

gpsman wrote:
On Sep 6, 2:40 pm, a wrote:
Best practice without a lot of experimentation is to follow the POH,

I hope I never let my rookie ass become so confident I consider
deviating from the POH based on my own anecdotal experience. Next
thing you know, you're an example of someone who made reasonable
conclusions except for a heretofore unknown exception.

There's a certain risk factor, also, I think, in deviating from one's
training and, I assume in this case, longtime practice.

The OP doesn't mention their typical strip, but I think they would be
best served by adhering to the POH and just aiming a little further
down the runway.
-----

- gpsman

This is excellent advice and I add my voice to what you have said.
General aviation engines particularly Lycoming and Continental, handle
carb ice just differently enough that every aircraft POH should be
checked to see what the engine manufacturer recommends pertaining to the
use of carb heat, especially the exact circumstances where it is
recommended and the suggested procedure for it's use.
Pilots who alter the manufacturer's recommendations on the use of carb
heat anticipating a go around situation are potentially creating a
problem where no problem should exist.
There is no reason at all why a go around should necessitate an action
with carb heat that deviates from recommended procedure.
If you have to go around, simply follow recommended procedure.

--
Dudley Henriques