Old September 8th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

Tman wrote:

I think I'm going to follow a new SOP. Turn the carb heat off on
mid-final. Reasoning: no carb, esp a warm one is going to ice up in 30
seconds, sets me up better for a go-around, and will prevent this
stumble business (I did test it out at altitude, and it prevents or at
least seriously mitigates the stumble).

thoughts?

Well that will make it easier on the crash investigators. They will see
the carb heat in the off position and mark it down to carb ice caused by
pilot error. Think of the money you will save the tax payers.