Old October 23rd 03, 03:12 PM
Peter R.

Peter ) wrote:

I never found anyone who knew what the OBS mode did - not even the
instructor on a KLN94B all-day course I went on. So I use only the leg
mode, and use the GPS only en-route. Don't laugh

With my KLN94 I use the OBS mode for VOR approaches. Direct to the VOR
used in the approach, then OBS mode. This allows the GPS to provide more
relevant distance information. The VOR approach in the GPS database many
times does not provide published approach distance information, since often
these distances are measured to the MAP, rather than to the VOR.

Additionally, I use the OBS mode to provide situational awareness when
intercepting an airway. If I just departed an airport and am given a
heading and a request to intercept an airway, I switch the GPS to OBS mode,
hit direct-to the VOR (or intersection) defining that leg of the airway,
dial in the airway radial on the VOR OBS, and momentarily flip the GPS/NAV
switch to NAV.

This draws the airway on the moving map (both the KLN94's map and the
multi-function display map), which gives me a good idea where the airway is
relative to my position. Once I intercept the airway, I place the GPS back
in LEG mode and again hit direct-to VOR.

It reads as if it is a lot of work, but it has become second nature over
time.

--
Peter