Old October 16th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Bourgeois

Default To Pawnee or not to Pawnee...that is the question...

Our club runs a pair of 235 Pawnees (a "D" with the full Hutch =
conversion and a stock "C" model). We also tow with a L-19 Bird Dog. =
Another club I teach for runs a 260 hp Pawnee with the constant speed =
prop and a third club in New England runs a pair of 235s also. I think =
Caesar Creek also runs Pawnees as does Bermuda High. There are several =
at Boulder CO and one nice one at Salida. All Pawnees have had a hard =
life before they came to be tow planes and it's pretty easy to spend =
enough on an engine overhaul, a fabric recover, and the attach point =
AD/STC so that you've got more into the plane than any stock Pawnee is =
worth. There are a few parts that are hard to find but an experienced =
mechanic can usually work around those. We tend to burn through =
starters and brake pads - but most tow planes do. The solo checkout is =
not a problem - they fly real honest and and are not hard to land, but =
the inability to do dual practice towing would make me not want to use =
it as my sole towplane. I've towed behind (but not piloted) the Husky =
at both Mifflin & Albert Lea - and it does a credible job as a =
towplane. I would only be concerned about the high initial cost and the =
insurance costs. It's a little like the price difference between an old =
beater pick up truck and a spiffy new one. If you can afford the new one =
fine. If not, fly & fix your Pawnee.

Roy B.