Old March 22nd 10, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Default More restrictions for "experimental"

On Mar 21, 7:24*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Mar 21, 9:14*am, Andy wrote:

snip
(35) Proficiency flights are authorized without geographical
restrictions when conducted in
preparation for participation in sanctioned meets and pursuant to
qualify for Federal Aeronautique
International (FAI) or Soaring Society of America (SSA) awards. These
flights may only take place as
defined in the applicant’s program letter, and prior to the specific
FAI or SSA event. The pilot in
command must submit a description of the intended route and/or
geographical area intended to be flown
to the local FSDO.
(Applicability: Group I, gliders only)

snip
*I would recommend active participation in the IGC(FAI)/OLC contest,
every flight. *As SSA state governor, I recognize OLC participation
annually in addition to other achievements. *http://www.coloradosoaring..org/awards.htm

snip

Yes, the SSA does sanction the OLC in the US, and the SSA presents
annual awards nationally, and for each SSA region, for SSA-OLC
Classic, Trangle and League. The SSA state governors are free to make
additional awards in their areas as well. FAI also sanctions the FAI-
OLC League and FAI-OLC triangle portion of the OLC worldwide. One
twist here is that the OLC 'event' runs all year to the second Monday
of October, so this would not conicide with a January 1 annual program
letter period. I would suggest that you could specify in your program
letter which SSA regions you intend to compete in, and this should
meet the specificity requirement. You would have to be registered as
an OLC competitor, have a suitable logger, and upload flight claims on
a regular basis to make this legit. Note that the SSA does not enforce
membership requirements for participation in the OLC, but we only
recognize members for awards, same as the FAI. So you would have to be
an SSA member to be considered a competitor at the SAA-OLC regional or
national level, and/or a member of NAA with a sporting license to
compete in the OLC-i (international) and for NAA national and FAI
world records.

Doug Haluza, CGIG
SSA-OLC Committe Chair