Old August 20th 15, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 4:12:43 AM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 3:21:16 AM UTC+3, son_of_flubber wrote:
A highly respected CFI-G says "I NEVER want to land out" (to budding pilots gathered around the picnic table). "That's just dumb. Why would you get off tow below 1500 AGL? Why take that risk?"

I have a number of times had tow pilots approach me after I landed from a multi-hour flight and ask why I got off at 800 ft or 1000 ft above launch height. Was there something wrong with the tow? No -- we flew through a big fat thermal!

I'm actually amazed, when I fly with other pilots, how many carry on through juicy thermals to the launch height they already had in their heads.

If you're flying along and suddenly the towplane shoots up above you, start counting. If the vario is now reading 10 (5 for euros) and you've counted past ten before the townplane suddenly drops away below you then just release and turn back hard.

Of course, there's increased risk of it not really working and landing back for a relight. But I can't actually think of a time when it happened to me on a day when others were successfully soaring.

One of the closest was when I was visiting the US and found a club near Joliet IL. Jumped in a Duo (a type I hadn't flown before, though I knew the Janus pretty well) with an instructor and surprised the heck out of him by releasing at 700 ft AGL. It very nearly didn't work, with about 15 min of scratching at around launch height. But then I got away to 4000 ft and we went on a nice tour of the area. (there was never any question of not being able to make it back, of course)

Bruce,
Thanks for mentioning our Chicago Glider Club near Joliet IL - and your flight in our Duo. I practice what you are preaching all the time and our tow-pilots sometimes ask the "what was wrong" question if I stay on tow all the way up to 2,000'. But then, I was trained on a winch back in Germany, we were lucky to get 1,500'.
Herb