Old July 26th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Pattern for IFR

Would you ever be directed into the traffic pattern while approaching an
airport for landing IFR? That is, would you be told to make right/left
downwind or right/left traffic for landing? If so, what's the procedure?

I was under the impression that, if you are IFR, you will be given specific
instructions up until you actually have the field in sight, which means that,
if you are truly to enter the pattern, ATC would first verify that you have
the field in sight, then say something like "cleared for the visual approach"
(?).

I guess I'm confused about the conditions under which you'd be left up to your
own discretion for altitude and heading under IFR during an approach.