Old September 8th 11, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Stall warnings

At 18:12 08 September 2011, Ramy wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:19=A0am, wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:32=A0am, Mike wrote:

I'm a bit surprised with all the "false alarm" talk. How hard could

it
be to turn the device on with a simple toggle switch as part of the
pre-landing checklist? Take-off and thermalling - off, landing - on.

The first thing that fails is use of the check list, especially under
stress.
UH

Precisely!

Why the complication? (1) Stick shakers and pushers were fitted to aircraft
which presented little or no warning of an approaching stall or the stall
itself. I have yet to fly a glider which does not give a clear indication
of an approaching stall or an even clearer indication that the stall has
occurred and my training made sure I could recognise these indications and
take the necessary action.
(2) Fitting yet another gizzmo that requires electricity throws up the same
problem as there is with all electric items in a glider, the power
available is reliant on an unrenewable source, the battery. When the
battery goes flat all the gizzmos fail. When this happens Bloggs with of
course say, "I could not have stalled, the stall warning did not go off"
I glider does not need such a gizzmo, and if there are pilots flying
gliders who feel that such an instrument is needed perhaps we would all be
better served if they took up golf or gardening.