Old September 26th 04, 08:01 AM
Guy Alcala

Peter Twydell wrote:

In article , Guy Alcala
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

In article , Denyav
writes

snip

I see no purpose in my pursuing this topic with you.

You ARE the weakest link. Goodbye.

Took you long enough -- I was beginning to worry about you. Now
killfile him like
the rest of us, and you'll only see his ravings when some other misguided soul
attempts to have a coherent argument with him.

Guy

There are two aspects to Denya and his ravings. One is that he's like
the mosquito you hear in the middle of the night and can't swat because
it's too elusive. The other is accepting the challenge of getting him to
justify himself. Not very successfully this time, unfortunately, but it
did confirm his irrationality. I only did it as a bit of light relief
after several hard days of pretty mind-boggling work when I needed to
relieve the stress. I promise I won't do it again. Well, not until the
next time anyway.

Over on the rec.sport.rugby.union newsgroup (devoted to one of the two
greatest sports on the planet), there is the RSRU Shield, a virtual
competition between national teams. The first holder was South Africa,
who were awarded the Shield after their World Cup win in 1995. The
Shield
changes hands every time the holder loses a Test match. Funnily enough,
South Africa holds it at the moment, having beaten Australia recently.
What's he on about, you ask. Well, it struck me that perhaps we could
award a similar trophy, to be awarded to the most outrageous loon
(lune?) who posts to the NG. Past holders would have included Venik,
Kurt Plummer and good ole John Tarver. The current holder would have to
be Denyav. The poster of a subsequent outrageously loony posting would
be awarded the trophy until the next one.

Would seriously mis-wired types like ZZbunker qualify, or is that a separate
'Garble' trophy? And do we need sub-categories, like any bloated awards show? You
know, Monomaniac of the Year, with sub-categories for Deutschland uber
Alles/Luftwaffe'46, TWA 800, USS Liberty, Iran Airbus, Area 51 (often awarded
jointly with DuA/L '46), Best New Obsession (political election obsessions are
banned), Most Promising New Loon (no, on second thought, no loons are promising),
etc. And of course a lifetime achievement award, given to the Loon who has
demonstrated an extreme level of sustained lunacy over many years. The award has
to be named after a Loon who has left the Internet community seemingly forever for
whatever reason, so that it can be a memorial award. I have a nominee in mind, but
like George Washington being the near unanimous choice to be the first President of
the US, I imagine everyone here on r.a.m. would vote my candidate in by
acclamation.

Guy