Old September 8th 05, 04:55 AM
Jim Burns

I was fleeced by an unscrupulous FBO to the
tune of $5K for an annual.

Had I known then what I've learned here (and in other places on the
internet), I could have easily cut that bill in half.

Ohhhh you just hit a sore spot. Although it all worked in our favor, I
still feel terrible about how the previous owner of our plane was treated.
He was nice enough to give us the invoices for the past 4 annual inspection
and maintenance.

IMHO, rec.aviation should be required reading for 12 months prior to
purchasing your first plane.

Ditto!!

Previous owners annuals on our Aztec:
2001 = $46972.48 includes one rebuilt engine for $14173.50 after core
charge refund.
Also includes full set of 3 WRONG size tired and $400 to install
them
Also includes $1500 annual inspection fee, and this is strictly
for the inspection per Jim Weir style, no maintenance or repair work, wait,
it's worse than that! There is a separate entry and labor charge for each
AD compliance, several are strictly visual inspection AD's, but there is
actually a line item labor entry for each AD verification and compliance!
You would think that if only a visual inspection were necessary to comply
with the AD, $1500 would cover it!

2002 = $18694.33
2 cylinders replaced on left engine
balance labor and small parts

2003 = $9933.99
New exhaust both engines

2004 = $6562.49
1 cylinder repaired

Each year, 3 years in a row they replaced a little rubber cabin door stop on
the right nacelle, $40 per pop. First time it blew away on ours, I replaced
it, drilled 2 holes in it, counter sunk them and bolted the ******* on then
siliconed the holes over. It will never come off again and there will never
be another shop screw the planes owner out of $40 for a 2 inch piece of
rubber.

2005 = $2441.00
Myself and my partners took most of a week off from work and did
anything and everything we could.
Includes all A&P/I labor, including to install new windshield.
No major problems found.

Jim