Old January 8th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Nasa Icing courses

Jay Honeck wrote:

Other than that, we haven't flown diddly squat in weeks. Our last fly-in
guest was sometime around Thanksgiving. Worst flying weather I've ever
seen.

So between the weather and my work backing up, at least my engine picked
a good time to make metal. It is off the airplane waiting for the crate
to arrive from Penn Yan. I last flew on a return trip over Thanksgiving
weekend. Pulled the filter right after that trip (11 hours after
finding metal in the filter during the october annual) and found as much
metal as the previous 30+ hour filter had in it, so I grounded it.

The engine is 26 months and 178 hours out of a new limits Penn Yan
overhaul with new ECI titan stud assemblies, new cam, new accessory
gears, new oil pump, all new accessories, etc. About all that wasn't new
was the crank and case, and those were reworked during the overhaul.

The intake cam lobe for the #3 and #4 cylinders failed and is worn down
considerably, hence the engine coming off and waiting for the crate.