Old June 30th 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kai Rode

Default Unpaved Landing areas

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Not very often. I'm still in primary training however and since I'm about to
take my test soon, I asked my FI to let me try some landings on a nearby
grass field used mainly by glider pilots but also PPR for powered aircraft.
Almost all other airfields in the vicinity have at least one paved runway so
these were my first landings on grass and probably the only ones for a long
time. Here's a picture

http://www.eddh.de/x-files/appr-pics/EDLC.jpg

Apart from being a bit bumpier than a paved strip and the runway being
several feet lower in the middle than at the ends...no big deal at least
when it's dry. And wind correction is also easier because you dont get that
annoying sound when you don't fully decrab before touchdown. I liked it.

I can't understand why insurance companies want higher rates for the
permission to land on unpaved strips...unless it's got something to do with
the many private airfields in the US in dubious condition. Couldn't happen
here in Germany...you are not allowed to land outside an officially approved
airfield and if it's an official airfield, the operator has to guarantee the
safety of the field.