Old August 25th 04, 11:36 PM
Jacek Kobiesa

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
Andreas Maurer wrote:

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:29:58 +0300, "iPilot"
wrote:

Just my stupid ideé fixe, but I hope that someone finds it interesting.

You just gave a perfect description of LS-4, LS8, DG-300,
Discus,......

In good ole Europe we call this "Club Class" and it's extremely
successful. Guess why...

I suspect there is little overall for support for the concept of a true
"one design" class, for several reasons:

* the current Standard, 15M, and 18M classes are nearly one design
classes anyway, because the performance difference from
manufacturer-to-manufacturer and year-to-year is very small

* the Club Class makes so many different used gliders competitive, the
potential cost advantage of a one-design class is eliminated

* the top pilots have little trouble getting the glider they want, most
of the rest of us are losing contests because of our ability, not our
glider, so there is little value to the majority of contest pilots to
have a one design class.

* the major interest in the one-design class seems to be from people
that hope it would result in a new 40+ L/D glider that doesn't cost any
more than a 20 year old used glider

I can't see the last item ever being more than a dream.

Eric,
You just nailed the issue right on the head....