Old February 12th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default FCC Radio License and Canada

On Feb 11, 9:17*pm, "Dennis Johnson" wrote:
I'm planning a flight from the US West Coast to Alaska this summer in my US
registered homebuilt. *Depending on weather, I may have to make a stop in
Canada.

According to AOPA's website, US law requires private airplanes operating
outside the US to have an FCC radio license for the airplane and another for
the pilot. *What are the chances that anyone in Canada is going to care
about the licenses? *Since the only requirement to get the aircraft license
is to pay $60, there doesn't seem to be any operational benefit of the
license, other than satisfying bureaucratic silliness. *Anybody flown their
US registered airplane into Canada lately and needed the license?

I think technically both the airplane AND you need a license. The
pilot's radio license is a bit more expensive. However, I've never
been asked for this when traveling in Canada and Mexico. I don't think
that anyone in either county has ever even heard of this requirement.
There are a few (very reasonable) requirements before flying into
Canada. However, the real song&dance happens when you return to the
US. Make sure you are up on the latest US Customs procedures and give
them a call ahead of time.

-Robert