Old December 1st 03, 12:43 AM
Tex Houston

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:07:23 -0700, "Tex Houston"
wrote:

The official absolute speed record still belongs to retired Major General
Eldon W. Joersz at 2,193mph set in June 1976 using the SR-71.

Tex

Yep. I'm wondering if it's becuase the the "offical" gates that the
FAI recognized were at the beginning and end of the flight or
something along those lines.

Almost certainly. If going after an existing record you have to comply with
the rules. One of the easiest tasks is to go about setting records for
which nothing presently exists. Lots of point-to-point records have been
done this way. Absolute records...a different story.

As an aside, I know Eldon from his F-105 days when he was a First
Lieutenant.

Tex