View Single Post
Old November 9th 14, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default OLC CAMP AT MORIARTY, NM, JUNE 1 TO JUNE 15, 2014

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 11:33:18 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:31:06 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Great to see other places taking notes from Nephi. I think OLC camps are a fantastic idea and I can't imagine better place than Moriarty and Nephi (Minden should consider this as well).
I hope flam will be encouraged and that all participants will fly with PowerFlarms assuming large number. Personally I would only consider this if all gliders are flarm equipped. After sharing the sky with 65 flarm equipped gliders at Nephi last year I would not do this without It.

Ramy

Ramy-

Flarm is great but I wouldn't let some ships sans-Flarm keep you away. Additionally, Xponders might be even more useful at 0e0.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba

Transponder is most useful IF you plan to spend a lot of time hanging around near the ABQ approach/departure corridors AND if less than around 10 gliders attend. If you have more than 10 gliders, Flarm is the better bet. If you have several dozen gliders participating pilots should consider Flarm essential - especially if there are cu. Cu are magnets for glider traffic and at 17,999' the TAS at cruise makes fast converging collision threats nearly impossible to pick up in time. Ask pilots who've flown the Nephi event. They learned a lot about what happens in real-world conditions at XC events with lots of gliders.

You can always equip with both of course.

9B