Old January 12th 05, 04:15 PM
Jay Honeck

I am curious just why you have a 72 hour cancellation policy. It is not
normal for hotels and it would be a show stopper for me. I looked at the
web site and it also gives no reason for the policy. I can understand the
special event policy although I don't agree with it.

Because, when you have just 27 suites -- and each one is unique -- you can't
afford to let irresponsible (or dishonorable) people reserve suites that
they have no intention of using.

When you reserve a suite at our place, it is "guaranteed." Basically, we
will hold it for you all night, no matter what, possibly turning away half a
dozen people who wanted that suite.

Sadly, we have discovered that a small (but growing) subset of humans are
complete as*holes, who book suites with no intention of showing up. I
suspect these are the same people that don't return library books, fail to
return rented movies when they are due, don't show up for parties after
RSVP-ing, and/or perform any number of other mildly dishonest and
dishonorable actions. It's truly sad.

If I owned a 100-room Super 8, it wouldn't matter a bit -- one room is the
same as the next, and no one cares WHICH room they get. However, if I've
turned away someone who wanted (for example) the "Blackbird Suite" (because
they are really, really into the SR-71), I'm screwed if the guest who
reserved it cancels at the last minute -- or, far worse, simply doesn't show
up.

In our place, offering the "Red Baron Suite" to someone who's into high
performance jets just doesn't work.

I've lost count of the number of hundred dollar bills I would have burned,
waiting for SOBs that never show up and never call. Which is why we get a
credit card number when they make a "guaranteed" reservation -- and then run
it for the full amount of their reservation when they don't show up.

If you're as depressed about this as I am, take heart: We have never, EVER
been stiffed by a pilot.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA