Old January 29th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default C-152 spin characteristics

"gatt" wrote in message

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

I recommend Kershner's instructor and aerobatic texts. Bill
Kershner probably did more spins in a C 150 teach than
anybody else.

I just read his spin chapter this weekend. I guess I know everything I
need to know about spins for now, but, yeow, that would be a lot of
information to throw at a PPL student before spin training. Useful
illustrations, though. 'I only read them-ar books fer the pitchers.'

-c

I'm sorry to step back in and respond so late, but there is a point that
needs a little emphasis.

At the time that I demanded a little spin training, I had already read
"Stick and Rudder" plus a lot of Kershner's work. Even so, that first spin
entry seemed to take a couple of milliseconds--after which the ground seemed
to rotate so fast that I still am not sure which direction we were turning!
The point being that preparation on the ground is essential for
understanding; but hopelessly incomplete.

However, after a couple of more spins, the entry seemed quite lazy and the
rotation still was faster than a Merry-Go-Round; but certainly not exciting.
After a couple of spins after that, things had slowed down so much that
there were multiple opportunities to recover in the first 90 degrees--some
of them with less than 50 feet of altitude loss and very little change of
direction.

As discussed in another thread, I failed to take the spin training to the
next level--which is the entry from an accellerated stall. I have forgotten
exactly why, but vaguely recall that the instructor who was so confident in
teaching normal spins was not eager to have a student demonstrate
accellerated stalls--especially where that would lead to an accellerated
spin entry. To tell the truth, at the time, that seemed to be just a little
over the top to me as well; and absolutely no one that I knew advocated such
a thing. (As an aside, much as today, the FAA was on one of their big
safety pushes--and even some of the good ol' boys claimed that they never
flew any way other than "straight and level" when they were on the ground.)

The point of all this is that, when I return to flying, I will immediately
extend the stall and spin training into the accellerated entry area; because
that is where most of the stall-spin accidents really begin--and I fully
expect that things will seem to speed up again (quite radically) for the
first few times in each direction. After that, I will also do them
solo--because the airplane handles just a little differently when it has an
eccentric load.

Peter
Nearly as eccentric as the plane ;-)