Old October 19th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default an interesting in flight experiment

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
"a" wrote in message
... Even on run up you lose some RPMs when on a single bank of spark
plugs.

If you don't get an rpm drop when running on a single mag, something's
probably amiss. My engine has never run rough during a mag check, except
when I forgot to lean aggressively before taxi and got lead fouling.

Long ago I had rented a C=150 that the run up mag check was fine before
a return flight back to the home airport (about 1 hour flying). All of a
sudden in cruise the engine was running rough. I did a mag check, on one
side was rough and the other side smooth. I elected to run on one mag
that was good and squawked the aircraft upon landing.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP