Old November 22nd 04, 09:12 PM
Frank

Roger wrote:

snip

OTOH as far as addiction, I often wonder is it's more of a
psychological addiction than chemical. In the 70s I smoked 2 1/2
packs of Camels a day. I smoked them right down till I was burning my
fingers and inhaled clear to my toes. I quit cold turkey and had no
noticeable side effects. No cravings, no hunger, and I've never had
one since. I just kept telling myself they weren't good for me, I
enjoyed them, but I wanted to quit and I was going to quit. I went
through that litany every time I took out a cigarette for several
weeks. One day I ran out, but was in a hurry so I said, "I'll get some
on the way to work tomorrow". It was three days later when I realized
I hadn't had a craving for a cigarette. Never had one since. I don't
even like the smell now.

Of course there is little worse than a reformed smoker, unless it's
non believer who just got religion.

I had a similar experience. I smoked a pack a day from the early 70s until I
quit in 1997. I tried to quit twice before but they were half hearted
attempts and within a week I was smoking again.

Then I made up my mind that I was not going to give any more money to the
cigarette companies. It was embarrassingly easy. I did experience some
cravings but they were mild and easily ignored. The fact that I would
occasionally have one months, even years later tells me that that they were
largely psychological.

While I am convinced that quitting is really a matter of motivation I also
recognize that there is a physiological basis for cravings, and even if
they are psychological they are just as real. Therefore I offer my
experience to those quitting as a way of encouragement but I refrain from
preaching to anyone else. I am determined not to be a stereotypical
reformed smoker.

--
Frank....H