Old August 8th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Buster Hymen

Default Abrupt Controller

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Kobra writes:

Ok so...I took-off on an IFR flight plan and I had just leveled off
at 4000' north bound for their fix. Next they gave me a vector of
090. After a minute or so I asked the controller, "McGuire Approach,
Cardinal 07G, any chance direct Smyrna (ENO)?" The response I got
was, "07G direct Smyrna unable." Ok...that would be fine if that was
what my busy brain heard, but I did not hear it that way...my brain
heard, "07G direct Smyrna 'when able'." Shortly after I turned
direct for ENO I got a VERY large lecture with unneeded and
unnecessary attitude. "07G I TOLD YOU STAY 090. CAN'T YOU LISTEN OR
UNDERSTAND ATC INSTRUCTIONS? WHEN I GIVE YOU A VECTOR YOU ARE TO
FOLLOW IT EXACTLY AND CAREFULLY!!"

When I explained to him that I heard him say, "...direct ENO when
able." he became even more belligerent. "I DID *NOT* SAY THAT!!
YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO ATC INSTRUCTION MORE CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW MY
INSTRUCTION EXACTLY."

Where was your readback?

Granted I heard him wrong and I made a mistake. But I think the
controller needs to take some responsibility for using confusing
verbiage and surely it was unprofessional to lay me out like that.

Had you read back the instructions, the chances of any confusion would
have been greatly reduced. You should always read things back.

This reminds me of how a
mid-air occurred in LA because a new controller took time to admonish
a GA pilot for a couple minutes while a commercial plane and a Piper
collided right in front of him on his screen.

When was this?

So my question to Steve McNicoll is...is that standard verbiage to
say, "...direct Smyrna 'unable'??. 'cause I'm here to tell ya that,
that can be EASILY confused with 'direct Smyrna 'when able'. What's
your thoughts on this and did he use proper language or did he just
use poor phraseology?

If you read back "when able" after he says "unable," he'll probably
catch it and correct you. If you don't read anything back, you never
know.

Anthony, you don't know **** from Shinola about using an AM radio, you
****ing moron. A total waste of life.