Old September 29th 04, 08:31 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

I simply called AOPA and told them not to call me anymore. That was over
10 years
ago, and they've honored my request.

AOPA started sending me renewal notices 3 or 4 months after I renewed
in 2003. I found that irritating, and suspected it was a trick to get
people who weren't paying attention (such as bill-paying spouses) to
renew year(s) in advance.

They also sent me dozens of credit card offers, insurance solicitations
and offers to join their legal plan. The latter two especially were
filled with dire warnings about what could happen to me if I didn't sign
up.

Finally I called them and said look: Quit spending my membership dues to
try to extract more money from me. If you have enough self-restraint to
leave me along until my renewal in 2004 then I'll renew. Otherwise I
won't.

Guess what? Even after a month+ grace period to process their lists
they were still sending me crap. After I let my membership lapse I got
offers for discounts and freebies if I'd re-up. They even had a
telemarketing company call me.

So if you're wondering where your AOPA dues are going now you know: To
try to lure me back. I'm just glad it's not my money anymore.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/