Old February 25th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jim wynhoff

Default US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

On Feb 24, 1:12*pm, T8 wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:01*pm, wrote:

Evan:

It's degraded and slow to update if the gps source is 1 hz (as most are), also assumes zero sideslip and assumes pitch is related only to difference between TE vario and vertical speed.
Despite those limitations, I would consider that it *would be possible (but not recommended) for a pilot of average skill to cloud fly with such an algorithm.

Gps derived attitude is used in autopilots in low cost uavs.

There are also more capable gps-only attitude systems that use three gps receivers, the phase differences yielding attitude at high accuracy and high rate.

You can see now why I shudder when gyros are singled out as the evil component that supposedly enables cloud flying.

I think -- with respect to modern sailplanes -- you are
optimistic :-). *I've flown simulated instrument in Cessnas on riotous
soaring days. *I actually did a 45 minute check flight in a new type
that way, all under the hood, from 500 agl on take off, to 1000 agl in
the pattern one time. *Made me green as all get out. *But the point
is, the effective bandwidth of a real gyro horizon is probably on the
order of 20 or 30 Hz. *I am certain I could not cloud fly in
turbulence on 1 Hz. *I might be able to keep wings level on an
emergency letdown (flaps & spoilers out) in reasonably smooth air.
I'm hoping our RC interpretation is similar because it leads to a
simplification in the rules interpretation for guys with older (1 Hz)
equipment and modern softwa "No gyros / No 3G/4G / No problem". *QT
says otherwise in one of these threads, but I have had private
conversation with one of the other RC guys that sounded amenable to
this in principle. *I think it's defensible for the short term, if not
preferred for the medium or longer term. *The contest season is upon
us, we need solutions, pretty much right now.

Better ban these, and other (cheaper) products like it while you're at
it.
http://www.micropilot.com/
28 grams - two FOGs, GPS, pressure speed and altitude.
We either have an honor system, or we don't. Pick one. I'm just glad
my Dell Streak and I don't fly contests.