Old February 17th 04, 03:09 PM
Michael P. Reed

Bob McKellar wrote in message ...
Compiling the list just for fun.

Starting with WWII era, "shot at" limited to military
situations

Continuing to the WWII era.

Prez. Shot at Major military Action

Washington Yes Yes
Adams No Yes
Jefferson No Yes
Madison No Yes
Monroe Yes No
J.Q. Adams No No
Jackson Yes Yes
Van Buren No (I think) Yes (he inherited Jacksons Seminole
War)
W.H. Harrison Yes No (see Taylor)
Tyler No (AFAIK) No
Polk No Yes
Taylor Yes No (didn't have much of a chance)
Filmore No (AFAIK) No
Pierce No (AFAIK) No
Buchanan No No
Lincoln No? Yes (Not sure if so Sac took a
potshot at him or not)
Johnson No (AFAIK) Yes (kinda)
Grant Yes Yes (see below)
Hayes Yes No (depending on if one counts the
Plains wars)
Garfield Yes No
Arthur Yes [?] No (I think served in the ACW)
Cleveland I&II No (AFAIK) No
Harrison Not sure No
McKinley Yes Yes
T. Rooselvelt Yes Yes
Taft No No (he was in PI during the
Insurrection)
Wilson No Yes
Harding No No
Coolidge No (AFAIK) No
Hoover Yes No (was a civlian but took an active
part in the defense of the siege of Tientsen during the Boxer
Rebellion)

12 Yea 16 Nay 1 IDK

5 (or 6) Yea w/war
7 Yea w/o war
7 (or 8) Nay w/war

A couple of those were inherited, but for the most part, I think it
depends upon events of the moment more than actual prior service (or
having "seen the elephant").

--
Regards,

Michael P. Reed