Old July 9th 04, 04:11 AM
Richard Lamb

Matt Whiting wrote:

So you are saying that our genetics have changed dramatically in the
last 40 years? I don't buy it. Our rate of obesity has increased
dramatically in the lat 40 years, but I don't think we've mutated all
that much genetically. Then again, I'm not a geneticist... :-)

Matt

That's not quite correct - at least according to my doctor.
They call it Factor-X diabetes.

I have hardly any genetic risk for diabetes, but have developed
Type-1 anyway.

The cause is generally explained as the massive amount of sugar
and alcohol that have been introduced into our diets since about
1940 or so.

The doctor prescribed an oral med (Metformin HCL, in my case) and
over the first year I shed 50 pounds with very little change in diet
or activity. I'm now 196 pounds, which is not too bad at 6'3.

If you are overweight (and by media reports, most of us are seriously
so), might be wise to get screened for Diabetes.

Especially if your diet has included a lot of soda or alcohol...

Richard