Old April 20th 20, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Time for Separate 18m Records?

Hello Kristian:

You wrote,
"You can fly as fast with modern 18m class glider as anything else".

Perhaps you can fly as fast - But I am not sure that you can fly as far. But the same statement can be made about speed in a 15m glider compared to an 18m glider in strong conditions.

But, to your point, I've wondered why someone would pay all that extra money for an EB-29 if they can get the same performance from an 18m glider costing very much less?

The fact of too many classes is a separate problem - not a reason to exclude a deserving new class. Perhaps some existing classes should be discontinued or consolidated.

ROY