Old January 12th 21, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default First glider Nimbus 2 ?

On 1/12/21 12:44 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 1/12/2021 11:39 AM:
On 1/12/21 12:02 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
BG wrote on 1/11/2021 9:34 PM:
Another issue is the risk you are imposing on the tow pilot.Â* Most
of these older ships have CG hooks that provide little help in
directional control.Â*Â* Kiting is also a killer.Â* My club lost a
towpilot this last year due to kiting.

My ASW20C came with only a CG hook. After several years, I
retrofitted it with a nose hook. The improvement on takeoff was
significant, and it was also better in the air. A very worthwhile
change, I thought, and I had about a 1000 hours at the time.

Curious - How does fitting a nose hook make a '20 "better in the air"?
Is it because of a larger opening in the nose?Â* I thought the '20 got
its ventilation via NACA scoops under the wings.Â* Am I missing something?

"Better in the air" referred to being on tow, off the ground. Once the
rope is gone - no change.

Got it, thanks!

--
Dan